Some course design tips for institutions and instructors to make your Pathway course more engaging:
At the beginning of the course:
- Record a course walk-through video and include it in the course Introduction. This will help course members navigate through the course and understand learning expectations and requirements.
- Create a netiquette lesson to announce guidelines for learners to interact with each other through the social learning activities on CN. This will help set up a positive learning environment for everyone. You may use a Show a Poll activity type to invite learners to reflect on the most important rules and add suggest additional rules.
- Create an activity to let course members build a basic version of their ePortfolio, such as uploading a profile picture, adding a bio, completing basic information, and adding a few skill tags. This will help them get to know their peers and interact with each other throughout the course. Here is the tutorial on building a CN ePortfolio https://support.thecn.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006596567
- Create a Post activity to let course members introduce themselves to the class. Encourage them to share pictures and/or use the CN Recorder to include a 1-minute self-intro video. Course instructors may create the first post as an example.
- Create a background survey using the Poll tool to help course instructors know their students and help course members know their class.
Throughout the course:
- Use the Post and Poll activities to keep members engaged and interact with each other
- Use the rich text editor to embed various engaging sources, such as images, videos, and external interactive learning content.
- Create assignment submission activities to have learners to produce something and provide feedback. The activity can be marked complete based on submission, instructor approval, or passing score (require score-based grading). Encourage students to present understanding in multiple ways. CN supports file uploads, text, drawing an image, recording a short audio, recording a short video, and external tools.
- For a major project or deliverable, ask students to create a Showcase on their ePortfolio https://support.thecn.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007087087 and then share their Showcase URL or ePortfolio URL with the class through a Post activity.
- Award lesson completion badges to give incentives and recognitions along the way
- Set up a course completion deadline in Basic Course Settings
- Set up course completion rewards: badge or certificate (for licensed institution course only). This is a very important mechanism to increase course completions.