Besides commenting on student assignment submissions to give them feedback, instructors can leverage CN Mail and post features to communicate with students in an online course.
Please note that only institution users and premium CN accounts can send out CN emails.
Email Individual Students
CN made messaging individual users easy and convenient.
1. In most places (e.g., on a post, reflection, Roster, DropBox, GradeBook), user names are links. Hovering over a name link will pop open the user's mini profile card. You can then click the email icon to send the person a CN email. The email will be sent to both the user's CN account and their email inbox. They can respond from either place.
2. You may also click a student's name or profile image to go to their profile/ePortfolio. Then, use the "Message" button from the top to send the person a CN email.
3. Another place to email one or several individuals is from the Email icon located on the universal navigation bar. After you click the COMPOSE button, the CN email form will appear.
Email a Group of Students
1. You can always use the Email tool above the course post feed to email either the entire course or specific groups. For the latter, you need to use the Groups feature to set up groups first.
Note: you can also use this course Email tool to message individual students.
2. If you need to message students based on their submissions or performance on an assignment (including quiz), you may leverage the "Message Students" option on the assignment from the instructor GradeBook.
The screenshot below shows the conditions for you to determine the recipients of the email.
3. You may also message students from the course Roster. Click the button in the top-right.
You will then be able to select students based on their overall course participation and completion status, draft the message, and send it out.
Post and Engage Students in Social Discussions
When you have a learning resource to share, a topic to ask for students' opinions, or an optional event to announce, you may post on the course feed. Your students will receive notifications about your new posts and engage in a conversation by commenting on the posts.
You may highlight a post (push it to the top of the course feed) and/or share the post URL via an email to encourage students to comment on the post.
Make a Course Announcement
If you teach a CN Pathway course, you can also make a course announcement. The announcement will appear on the top of the course page to all course members. The detail of this feature can be found in this article.