CN provides multiple tools that allow users create content via helpful multi-media tools in order to allow learners to have multiple ways to present their ideas and express themselves. This includes a drawing tool, video recorder, and audio recorder.
Each of these tools can be accessed from Post/Poll/Event, post comments, the CN Rich Text Editor (for Tasks, Pathway activities, assignment submissions, Quizzes, Showcases, Public pages, etc.), and assignment feedback.
This article will show how each tool works through a specific feature as an example.
Please note that these three multi-media creation tools are available to institutional and CN Premium users. Public free CN users are given three free tries for each tool. After the three tries, they will need to upgrade to a Premium account to continue to use the tools.
The CN drawing tool allows users to draw an image and embed it in their content. It can be accessed from all of the places mentioned above. Here we will use a post as an example to demonstrate how to use this tool.
1. Access the Image icon
2. Select the second option, Draw Image.
3. This drawing board will show up. You can use the drawing tool on the left and change the colors of your pen at the bottom. Once finish drawing, click Save.
4. The image you drew will be attached to your post. After you submit the post, it will be embedded in your post.
Note: You can access this image and re-use it from CN Files>>My Uploaded Files.
The CN video recorder allows users to turn on their web camera and create a 1-minute video. The video will be a great way to introduce yourself, introduce a learning topic briefly, or give feedback. It can be accessed from all of the places mentioned above. Here we will use the CN rich text editor as an example to demonstrate how to use this tool.
1. Click the camera icon from the toolbar of the rich text editor.
2. Select "Use CN Recorder" from this pop-up.
Note: if you have already recorded a video using your device, select the last option "Upload a Video File" to directly upload it.
3. Now, record the video. You have 60 seconds.
4. Once done, the video will be embedded into your content automatically. When others play it later, it will be enlarged for them to watch.
The CN audio recorder helps users record their voices for up to 2 minutes. Instructors can use it to give instructions and feedback and language learners can use it to record their pronunciation. The audio recorder can be accessed from all of the places mentioned above. Here we will use assignment feedback to demonstrate how to use this tool.
1. Click the speaker icon.
2. Select "User CN Recorder (Beta)".
3. Then click the red "Record" button to record. Click Stop once finish.
4. The recorded audio file will be automatically attached to the content.
This is how the audio is played. The player looks slightly different in different browsers.
Note: Currently as of June 2022, the video and audio recorders do not work in Safari. This will be updated in the future.