Hide a GradeBook Item
By default, GradeBook items are visible to students. Sometimes instructors may need to hide a GradeBook item from students because they do not want to calculate its grade into the final course grade or the assignment is not ready to be released to students. If a GradeBook item is hidden by instructor,
- students will NOT see this item in their GradeBook,
- the item grade will NOT be calculated into the category grade and the Total Course Grade,
- students still see this item, their grade, and assessment feedback in CN DropBox.
Instructors can hide and unhide a GradeBook item anytime from the gear dropdown of the item in GradeBook.
Or through the eye icon of the Assignments list view.
Mute a GradeBook Item
Note: after the September 2018 release, CN GradeBook no longer has the Release Grades option. It is replaced by Mute Item.
By default, when grades are entered, they are automatically released to students. Instructors can mute items that they do not want to release their grades to students. If a GradeBook item is muted,
- students can still see this item but will not be able to view their grade on this item in both student GradeBook and DropBox,
- when a quiz allows view submissions, students see scores of individual questions after submitting an attempt. So, if instructors do not want to show scores of individual questions, they must choose "No" for View Submissions (from quiz settings). This setting can be changed after the quiz is unmuted.
- students will also not be notified of any changes to the grade,
- the item grade will not be calculated into the category grade and the Total Course Grade.
A GradeBook item can be muted and unmuted anytime. We suggest muting item before grading if instructors do not plan to show its grade to students until later.
To mute a GradeBook item, click on the gear icon on an individual GradeBook assignment/item. Then select "Mute Item" from the drop-down list.
A pop-up window will appear with details on what muting an assignment does. If you want to continue muting the GradeBook assignment, click "MUTE," if not, click "CANCEL."
Once the item is muted, the icon below will appear on the assignment to let you know it is muted.
When you are ready to show scores to students, you will need to unmute the GradeBook item. To unmute a GradeBook item, follow the same procedure as above. First, click on the gear icon of the assignment you want to unmute. Then, select "Unmute Item" from the drop-down menu. The little mute symbol will be removed, indicating that the item is unmuted. Now, students are able to see their grades in CN DropBox and GradeBook.