The CN Calendar tool is located on the right side of user homepage, course page and network page. It helps users organize their academic schedule and reminds them of upcoming due dates and events. Each user can create personal calendar events. Instructors can create course calendar events for all course members. Assignment due date, quiz closing date and scheduled ClassCast are automatically populated upon creation and editing of the item.
Main Calendar Functions
- If you click on the refresh icon, the calendar should scroll to the current date.
- Clicking on the blue calendar icon will open a date picker. Selecting a date will make the calendar scroll to that date.
- You can also enter the date manually and click on the Go button, which will make the calendar scroll to the specified date.
- When you refresh the page, the calendar will also be refreshed. The current date should be on the top of the calendar. If there’s an upcoming event within the next 7 days, the calendar will automatically scroll to the event instead.
- If you see the red exclamation point icon on the calendar tab, that means you have an upcoming within the next 7 days.
Home Page, Course, and Network Events
- When in a course, students (users with the student or observer role) can only create personal calendar events. They can never create a course calendar event.
- Instructors (instructor/TA/instructional designer/field expert) can create both personal calendar events and course calendar events. From the home page, they can create course events for any course, but from within a course, they can only create course events for that specific course.
- Personal calendar events are displayed everywhere (on the home page and in every course and network) no matter where they were created.
- Course calendar events are only displayed in two places: the course that the event was created from and the home page.
- Course and network calendar events are color coded. Personal calendar events are in gray.
- In a course, you will only see events from that course and any of your personal events. You should not see course events from any of your other courses or networks.
- All GradeBook items with a due date will automatically be added to the course calendar. If the instructor did not set a due date for the GradeBook item, it will not appear on the course calendar.
- Instructors cannot edit GradeBook item events from the calendar. However, if you edit the item from GradeBook (for example edit the item name, description and due date), the change will automatically be reflected in the calendar.
Calendar Events Created from Event and ClassCast Tools
Create a Calendar Event from the Event Tool:
- Everyone can create personal calendar events from the home page.
- Instructors can create course calendar events from the course page.
- Students can create personal calendar events from the course page.
- The “Add the event to CN Calendar” checkbox can always be unchecked to prevent this event from being added to the calendar.
- Events created in the course can be set to be visible to Course Groups. Only the instructor and members of the selected group can view these calendar items.
- If you chose visible to Only Me as the visibility setting for your event, it will not be added to the calendar and the option will be grayed out.
Create a Calendar Event from ClassCast Tool:
- If the ClassCast was created from the Broadcast a Live Lecture Now button, it will not be added to course
- If a ClassCast was scheduled for a future time, the ClassCast will be added to course
- ClassCasts can be set to be visible to Course Groups. Only the instructor and members of the selected group can view these calendar items.
- ClassCasts that are set visible to Only Me will not be added to course calendar.