The CN Calendar tool is located on the right side of user Home page, course page (for both Classic LMS and Pathway LMS), and Network page. It helps users organize their academic schedule and reminds them of upcoming due dates and events. Each user can create personal calendar events. Instructors can create course calendar events for all course members. Assignment due dates, quiz closing dates, and scheduled ClassCasts are automatically populated upon the creation of the item and automatically updated after editing the corresponding item.
Main Calendar Functions
- If you click on the refresh icon, the calendar will check if any new events have been added.
- Clicking on the blue calendar icon will open a date picker. Select a date or manually enter a date, then click on the "Go" button. You will see events that will occur on or after that date.
- If you see the red exclamation point icon on the calendar icon, that means you have upcoming events within the next 7 days.
Home Page, Course, and Network Events
- When in a course, students (users with the student or observer role) can only create personal calendar events. They can not create course calendar events.
- Instructors (instructor/TA/instructional designer/field expert) can create both personal calendar events and course calendar events. From the Home page, they can create course events for any courses, but from within a specific course, they can only create course events for that course.
- Personal calendar events are displayed everywhere (on the Home page calendar and in every course and network) no matter where they are created.
- Course calendar events are only displayed in two places: the course that the event belongs to and the Home page.
- In a specific course, you only see events of that course and any of your personal events. You should not see course events of your other courses or Networks.
- Course and Network calendar events are color-coded. Each course and Network has its randomly assigned color. Personal calendar events are always in dark gray.
- All GradeBook items with a due date will automatically be added to the course calendar. If the instructor did not set a due date for a GradeBook item, it will not appear on the course calendar.
- Instructors cannot edit GradeBook item events from the calendar. However, if you edit the item from GradeBook (for example edit the item name, description, and due date), the changes will automatically be reflected on the calendar.
Calendar Events Created from Event and ClassCast Tools
Create a Calendar Event from the Event Tool:
- Everyone can add an Event as a personal calendar event from their Home page.
- Instructors can add an Event as a course calendar event from their course.
- Students can add an Event as a personal calendar event from their course.
- The “Add this Event to CN Calendar” checkbox can always be unchecked to prevent this event from being added to the calendar.
- Events created in a course can be set visible to Course Groups. If a course instructor adds this kind of Events to the course calendar, only the instructor and members of the selected groups can view these calendar items.
- If you chose visible to Only Me as the visibility setting for your event, it will not be added to the calendar and the option will be grayed out.
Create a Calendar Event from ClassCast Tool:
- If a ClassCast was scheduled for a future time, the ClassCast will be automatically added on the course calendar.
- ClassCasts can be set visible to Course Groups, however, only the course instructor and members of the selected groups can view these calendar items.
- ClassCasts that are set visible to Only Me will not be added to the course calendar.
Add CN Calendar Events to Personal Calendars
If you are willing to add a CN Calendar event to your personal calendar, such as your Outlook Calendar. You can simply click the + icon next to the event. A .ics file will be downloaded to your local device and from there you can add it to your personal calendar.