On CN, a Network page is different from a course page. It doesn't have the learning management features. CN users can create a Network page to facilitate communications among members of an academic group, for instance:
- use a campus Network page to network school mates
- use an Alumni Network to keep alumni connected with each other
- use a Network to host a virtual conference
- use a Network to bring research collaborators from different institutions and countries together
- put faculty into different Networks based on their teaching subject or experience to let them share resources with each other
- students create their own Networks to form study groups or virtual exchange groups
Create a Network
Every CN user can create their own Networks--these are personal Networks.
Note: If your institution has created the Network, you will not need to create it yourself. Please check with your institution first.
Step1: To create a personal Network on CN, you need to go to the COURSES menu and click + Create a Course/Network.
Step2: Then, make sure you select the Create a Network tab from the top and fill out the Network creation table.
Note: If you want to create a private Network, you want to select "PIN Code" as the access setting and set up a 4-digit pin.
Key Network Features
1. Use the Tasks tool to share resources
If you are the moderator of a Network, you can create tasks to share resources and guide Network members through a series of activities.
Below shows how to create a task with SmartLinks:
2. Create Posts
Every Network member can create posts, polls, and events to participate in the asynchronous Network discussions.
3. Use hashtags to label posts and comments
Using hashtags in posts and reflections/comments can help label discussion topics and help others easily find posting content of their interests.
Network moderators are encouraged to set up a few suggested discussion topics from the beginning. The system will then prompt Network members to use these hashtags when they post.
4. Earn Anar Seeds
Users automatically earn Anar Seeds when they participate in the Network activities. Here are the rules of earning Anar Seeds in a Network.
Note: earning seeds in Networks is easier than in courses. Here, we do not have the minimum word-count requirements and the 24-hour and 7-day seeds caps.
5. Check member participation on the Members page
From the Members page, Network moderators can find each member's participation data. You can also change member roles and permissions from the gear icon on the right.
Network members have access to this page as well. They will be able to Network with others, like checking out others' CN ePortfolio from this page.
Invite New Members
Only Network moderators are able to invite new members. Inviting new members is very easy and there are two approaches.
1. Share the Network URL and PIN Code with the people you would like to invite.
2. Use the "Invite a Member" option from the Network Settings gear dropdown. Then follow the instructions to fill out the form and send out the invitation.
If you have any questions about using the CN Network features, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.