In CN, besides course instructors, CN Channel admins (institution admins) can award badges to institution members. They can also manage the ready-to-use badges available for instructors in institution courses. This article will explain how a CN Channel admin can create, edit, award, and manage badges at the institution level.
Award Institution Badges
In CN Channel >> Badges, Certificates, & Transcript >> Badges, an institution admin can create a new institution badge from the link on the top. There is already a list of ready-to-use badges - you may edit the details of these badges.
To award a badge, click the badge image.
You will then see the pop-up below. You may change the default badge issuer (see 1). You can select badge recipients by either manually entering their names or uploading a CSV file of their email addresses or Institution IDs (see 2).
The badge will then be issued to the recipients and added to their CN ePortfolios. You may click the recipient number link to review who has received the badge.
Manage Course Badges
The next section of the page is Course Badges. As an institution admin, you can do the following things:
- Use the link on the top to create new course badges for instructors to use in your Channel courses.
- Click the pencil icon to edit the details of an existing course badge.
- Use the checkbox to control the availability of a badge in all Channel courses. Uncheck the box if you do not want course instructors to award a badge.
- Click the little person icon to view recipients of a badge and export a CSV file.
- Drag and drop a badge to sort a badge on the list.
Institution admins can set up a two-level hierarchy for their institution badges. A master badge will consist of several micro-badges. After a user receives all of the micro-badges, they automatically get the master badge.
Below is an example of a master badge on a user's ePortfolio. At this moment one of the three micro-badges has been earned, so the user is 33% toward earning the master badge.
After clicking "View Details" on the pop-over, more meta data of each badge will display.
To set up a master badge, an institution admin should complete the following steps.
Step 1: Click the + circle in the Badges Hierarchy section.
Step 2: Select an institution badge as the master badge, identify bagde issuer, and make the badge available to a selected group of students.
Step 3: Add micro-badges. Note that micro-badges can be both instiution and course badges.
Award Institution Badges for ePortfolio Assessment
If your institution uses CN to assess Instituion Created Showcases, you have another way to award institution badges. You can award badges based on the assessment results.
When you set up an Institution Created Showcase, you can check "Award Badge...". This option is available in the following scenarios:
- Grade Scale is Points and Recourded Score is Last or Highest: In this case, students who receive the minimum score and above will earn the badge.
- Grade Scale is Fail-Pass: In this case, students who receive Pass will earn the badge.
- Grade Scale is Gree Flag - Yellow Flag - Red Flag: In this case, students who receive Green Flag will earn the badge.
After checking the box, you enter the minimum points (only for Grade Scale is Points) and click "Select Badge".
There are all existing institution badges for you to select. You may create a new badge.
Note, you must define a Badge Issuer that can be either a person or your institution.
This is what the form looks like with the completed settings. The badge will be automatically issued to students once their assessments meet the set conditions.
Institution admins can also award badges based on ePortfolio assessment results from the badge icon on the Instituiton Created Showcases list. This option is available in the following conditions:
- The Showcase is assessed using CN and the automated badge has not been set up through Approach 1 (see above).
- Grade Scale is Points and Recourded Score is Average: In this case, students who receive the minimum recorded score and above will earn the badge.
After clicking the badge icon, the pop-up below will appear for you to select an institution badge to award. In this example, users who receive a green flag are qualified for the badge.
The next step will display all qualified recipients. Clicking "Submit" will issue the badge to all of them.
Note, to view/export all recipients of a badge, you need to go to the Badges, Certificates, & Transcripts >> Badges page, find the specific institution bage, and click the recipient number link.