Instructors can copy an existing Classic LMS course through "Import Tasks".
Important logic to keep in mind before importing tasks:
- You may import tasks from your own course or another instructor's course via Copy Code.
- Content and settings that are not linked to Tasks will not be copied, such as instructor-suggested hashtags, Anar Seeds settings, Files, GradeBook items that are not connected to a SmartLink, etc. You need to import or set up these items separately.
- If a post is visible to Course Groups, This Course and Global Class, This Course and My Other Courses, or Only Me, after it is imported along with its linked task, its visibility will automatically change to This Course.
- You will be given the option to import the course About if the new course doesn't have an About.
- You will be given the opinion to import GradeBook categories only when the new course does not have any GradeBook items yet.
- Course Completion Conditions cannot be imported. You need to set them up in the new course.
- Institution admins have access to a more efficient course copy feature. If your institution licenses CN and you need assistance, please reach out to your institution's CN admin.
Steps of importing tasks:
STEP 1: Go to the new course. Click “Import Tasks” from the Tasks gear icon drop-down or the blue +Import Task button.
STEP 2: On the Import Tasks pop-up window:
- 1. Select import tasks from your own course or someone else's course via Copy Code.
- 2. Select/confirm the course you would like to import tasks from
- 3. Select the tasks you would like to import. You may select ALL or specific ones.
- 4. Review/modify Import Settings. By default, all of the boxes are checked. If you do not want to import any items, make sure to uncheck the boxes.
- 5. Review/modify the default visibility setting for the imported tasks. By default, the imported tasks are visible to all course members.
Once done, click the blue Import Tasks button at the bottom.
STEP 3: If any GradeBook items are to be imported, you will see the pop-up window below. The new assignment due dates will use either the existing due dates or the course end date, chosen in the previous step. You can edit each due date and assignment title on this pop-up window. You can also skip this step and make the edits from Assignments or GradeBook later. Once you have finished, click the blue Complete Import button.
After a few seconds, all of the imported tasks will appear in the new course!
You may repeat STEP 1-3 to import tasks from another course!
After importing tasks:
Since Import Tasks does not copy everything. After the import, we recommend checking the following things in the new course:
- Review Basic Course Settings, Anar Seeds Settings, and other course settings to make sure they fit the new course.
- Populate contents that are not linked to Tasks, such as instructor-suggested hashtags, Files, and GradeBook items that are not connected to a SmartLink.
- Review imported tasks and included SmartLinks. If any SmartLinks are missing, you need to fix them.
- Review task visibility conditions and course completion conditions if you need them in the new course.
Please sign in to leave a comment.