CN licensing institutions may set up ePortfolio privacy settings for their members, especially if they serve younger learners.
Keep in mind: The institution settings will only apply to Channel members who have not modified the default ePortfolio privacy settings. Therefore, institution admins should try to complete the settings before launching ePortfolios to end users.
Modify ePortfolio Privacy Settings from CN Channel
Institution admins can modify ePortfolio privacy settings for Channel members from CN Channel>>Settings&Controls>>General Settings. In the "ePortfolio Settings" section, the following options are available:
The first line is to set up a default visibility setting for Channel member ePortfolios. "Public" is the default setting.
- Public: Everyone online regardless of having a CN account or not
- CN Users: Must be a logged-in CN user
- My Institution: Users of your institution/program
- My Class: Instructors and classmates of any CN courses a Channel member belongs to
- Instructors: Instructors of any CN courses a Channel member belongs to
- Password Protected: Institution admin creates a password that will apply to each Channel member's ePortfolio. People who know this password will be able to access the ePortfolio, regardless of having a CN account or not.
- Only Me: No one, except the owner of each ePortfolio, can view their ePortfolio.
The selected visibility setting can apply to all Channel members or members with certain user label(s).
When a non-public setting is selected, you can also disable Channel members from changing the setting. Please see the example below.
This example has "My Institution" selected for Channel members with the user label "Grade5". The checkbox "Disable Channel members from editing this visibility setting" is checked, indicating that these users are not able to change the visibility setting.
Channel admins may also apply other settings, such as hide Channel members' ePortfolios from public search engines (e.g. Google) and CN Searches, Hide job search features, etc.
Channel Member's View
This is what a Channel member sees when their institution set My Institution as the default visibility (and disabled them from editing it) and applied two other settings.
Related Article: ePortfolio Privacy Settings for individual users