You can add ALT text to images on CN. This descriptive text makes images more accessible for people using screen-reading technology.
1. Upload an image
After your image has been uploaded, you can click the ALT button to add alternative text
2. Add ALT text
In the ALT prompt, enter a brief alternative description for the image. Some rules of thumb are:
- Make the description brief and straightforward
- Only include details that are relevant to understand the image in context
- Don't start your description with "An image of" or "A picture of"
- Explain the image as if you were describing it to someone over the phone
3. Post your image
After the ALT text has been added, you can post the image as normal. You and other CN users can view the ALT text in the image detail view, and it will also be read out to someone using screen-reading technology.
Thank you for making CN more accessible!
4. Add ALT text to existing images
You can add ALT text to the images you uploaded to CN below. To do so, access "My Uploaded Files" in your CN File Repository, and click on the blue ALT button on an image to add an ALT text.