Note: This function is only available to licensed institutions.
1. CN Channel admin creates a Showcase on each Channel members’ ePortfolio
In order to use ePortfolio to conduct assessments, institution admin needs to first create a new Showcase on Channel members’ ePortfolios. To do so, the institution admin needs to log into their CN Channel, go to the “ePortfolio Assessment” page, then under the “Institution Created Showcases” section, click the “Add New Showcase”.
Fill out the Showcase creation form. Only two fields are required: the Showcase Title can be the competency or project that will be assessed; Default Visibility sets the visibility of this Showcase.
- You can assign this Showcase to all ACTIVE members of your Channel, users with specific labels, or students from selected courses. You may assign user labels to add the Showcase only on ePortfolios of selected students, for instance, students who majored in Informatics. Please read user labels related articles for instructions.
- Users can change the default visibility setting when they edit their Showcase. Assessors can always view this Showcase regardless of its visibility setting.
- Institutions may choose to limit some functionality on the Showcase. You can disallow endorsements on this Showcase, and you can also hide the Showcase for a chosen timeframe (in this case, only the Channel members can view this Showcase on their own ePortfolio).
- One or multiple assessors can be assigned to a Showcase. They do not have to be your Channel admins but must be a member of your Channel.
- Three types of Grade Scales are available at this time: Pass/Fail, Green/Yellow/Red Flag, and Points. You choose one to use for a Showcase.
- You don't have to use the assessment features provided here (Assessors and Grade Scale). If your institution has an LMS (such as Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, etc), the assessment can be done using the LMS' assignment and grading functions: instructors create an assignment in the LMS; students complete the Showcase and submit the URL of the Showcase on the LMS assignment. Please read Design ePortfolio-related Course Assignments for instructions.
Below is an example of a filled form. Please note that both the completion instructions and assessment guidelines can be more detailed.
2. Channel members (students) complete the Showcase
After the predefined Showcase is created by Channel admin, students will see this Showcase on their ePortfolio. By clicking the blue tab, they will be taken to the detailed Showcase section.
Students follow complete instructions and assessment guidelines to complete their Showcase.
Here is a completed Showcase.
Note: Students may change the Showcase visibility setting based on their preference. However, regardless of the visibility setting, assessors can always view this Showcase on a Channel member’s ePortfolio.
3. Assessor makes assessment
If a Channel member is delegated to assess a Showcase, they can access the assessment dashboard from the account settings gear icon, which is located in the upper right corner of full CN. Then, select ePortfolio Assessment.
On the ePortfolio Assessment dashboard, select the name of the Showcase from the dropdown to begin the assessment.
Directly below the dropdown are the details of the Showcase, such as the creation date, guidelines, and a pie chart showing assessment details.
Below this graph is a table showing the users who have made edits to their section. The assessor can view the date and time the user last edited their Showcase content and their latest assessment (if any).
To begin assessing a user, click on the "View Showcase" link.
Clicking this link will directly take the assessor to the corresponding detailed Showcase section. After reviewing the section, click the “Add Assessment” link to make an assessment.
This is the assessment form. Assessors can re-assess anytime.
4. Students view assessment results
Once their Showcase is assessed or has been re-assessed, students will receive a notification:
By clicking this notification, they will be directly taken to the corresponding Showcase on their ePortfolio. From the “View Assessment” link, they can see all the assessments they have received with the latest one on the top.
Please note that all assessments are only visible to the ePortfolio owner and the assessor regardless of the visibility setting of the Showcase.
If you have any questions about the institution created Showcases and assessment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.