There are various types of analytics in a CN course, some of which are available to both students and instructors, and some only available to course instructors. These analytics include the Anar Progress Bar, Members, Activities, Grades, Word Cloud, and Hashtag Analytics.
Anar Seeds Progress Bar
This Anar Seeds progress bar can be seen by all course members on the top of a Classic course page (Pathway LMS courses do not have the Anar Seeds progress bar). It helps students see if they are on track with the Anar Seeds goal set by their instructor and their relative position compared to other course members. The bar could be in one of these three colors: green, red or orange.
If the bar is red, the user is behind in terms of their current daily seeds goal.
If the bar is green, the user is on track in terms of their current daily seeds goal.
If the bar is orange, there is no course Anar Seeds goal set for the course. Students can compare themselves with the course average and the course Anar Seeds champion.
The Anar Seeds Champion (the member with the most Anar Seeds) will be shown at the end of the bar unless instructors choose to hide it.
Click Roster from the left course menu to access the Members Analytics.
While all course members may view the roster, only instructors are able to export it into a CSV file, award badges from the roster, combine courses, edit Anar Seeds Privacy Settings, and view everyone's Course Completion data. *Students can only see their own Course completion data.
The Course Roster/Members page allows instructors to sort through the course members using a variety of parameters, such as Posts, Reflections, Last Visit, Badges, Course Completion, and Anar Seeds. Instructors can also click on the number links to view all of the course posts and reflections created by a specific course member. Reference the following numbers with the corresponding image below.
1. Search course members by name or by CN #
2. Export into a CSV file for further analysis. *Only available to instructor roles.
3. Sort members by Posts, Reflections, Last Visit, Badges, Course Completion, or Anar Seeds by clicking on the arrows next to each parameter.
Click Analytics on the left course menu to open the Activities Analytics page.
Reference the following numbers with the corresponding image below.
1. View and compare the course average to individual students' Course Visits, Anar Seeds, Posts, Reflections, Ratings, and Course Completions (for Pathway courses and Classic courses that have set up course completion requirements)
2. Choose to view activities up to a certain date
3. Choose to view data by hour, day, week, or month
4. Select an individual student to compare to the course average. *Students are only able to see a comparison between themselves and the course average.
Click Analytics from the left course menu, then select Grades.
Grades analytics can also be viewed by clicking on View Grades Analytics in the upper-right side of the GradeBook page.
Grade Analytics can be accessed by instructors and by students. However, Instructors may compare each student with the course average, whereas students can only compare themselves with the course average. Reference the following numbers with the corresponding image below.
1. Select a student to compare to the course average *Students will only see themselves and cannot change it.
2. Each GradeBook item will appear at the bottom
3. Choose to hide the course average from students by clicking "Hide from Students". *This option is only available to instructors. It can be modified anytime.
Word Cloud Analytics
Click Analytics from the left course menu, then select Word Cloud.
The Word Cloud Analytics uses a Word Cloud graphic to visually present popular discussion topics emerging in course posts. The Word Cloud graphic is available to both instructors and students.
Course instructors who set up instructor suggested discussion topics are able to download user-based hashtag analytics. *This analytics is not available to students.
Click the little table icon next to "Instructor Suggested" in the Discussion Topics section.
Then, a CSV (similar to Excel) file will be automatically downloaded. Below is an example. From this file, course instructors are able to see which hashtags a specific course member has used. Please note that the calculation includes hashtags in both posts and reflections.
Course Analytics Dashboard for Instructors
On Jan 18, 2022, a course analytics dashboard was released. It can be accessed by every instructor from the bottom part of the course menu. After clicking "Analytics (Beta)", instructors will be able to glance at most of the data mentioned above as well as additional learner and assignment reports.