This will introduce ClassCast functions to instructors and students. Following the step-by-step guide, instructors can initiate sessions and students can join ClassCast sessions.
ClassCast is the video conferencing tool provided in courses. It is powered by the open source tool BigBlueButton. ClassCast offers the following functions:
- Instructors can initiate live broadcasts or schedule future ClassCasts for course members
- Multiple participants can discuss in a lecture at the same time
- Multiple participants can share their webcam at the same time. However, for a smoother connection, we do recommend turning off unnecessary webcams. Only have the presenter's webcam on.
- Upload any PDF or Microsoft Office documents to present, zoom, pan, and keep participants in sync
- Draw, write and call out key parts of your presentation for viewers using the Whiteboard
- Participants can chat with the entire class or selected individuals
- Record your lectures for later playback by course members (only available in courses created through CN Channel)
- Hand raising, personalized layout options, multi-language supported interface, and more features
Initiate and Join Live Broadcasts
If instructors need to start a live lecture right at a moment, they can simply click the ClassCast tab, which is located on the top right of the course home page.
Then click the blue button “Broadcast Now”.
This will directly take instructors to the ClassCast room.
Refresh the course homepage, course members will see a ClassCast post like the one below. Click ENTER CLASSCAST (labeled 1 in screenshot), they will be taken to the ClassCast room.
Hint: Each ClassCast room has a unique URL (labeled 2 in screenshot). It can be shared with anyone (even users from outside of the course or CN) to join the video conference/live lecture.
Schedule Future Sessions
For upcoming video conferences, instructors can schedule a future session. To do so, click the ClassCast icon, then click Schedule a future ClassCast. The scheduling form will appear.
Complete the form and submit. A ClassCast post like this will appear in the course post feed. Course members click ENTER CLASSCAST at the scheduled time to participate in the session.
The scheduled ClassCast session will be automatically added to the course calendar. 24 hours before the scheduled time, course members will receive notifications.
If you worry that the ClassCast post will be piled up in the post feed, we suggest that you announce the session in Task tool and create a SmartLink to connect to the ClassCast post. Again, you can also distribute the ClassCast URL with people you would like to invite to the session. Please note that these people must log into CN to be able to enter the ClassCast room.
Course instructors can view ClassCast access data. Click the blue link "ClassCast Access Data", and then a list of users who entered the ClassCast room will be shown. The data can be exported to a CSV file.
Both instructors and students can access ClassCast recordings from the Watch ClassCast Recording link on the post if the ClassCast session has been recorded. For details, please refer to this article.